Brew it yourself: Cold Brew

As a huge coffee fanatic and procrastinator I know quite a few ways to make the god-sent that is coffee.  That above video was one of fi...

As a huge coffee fanatic and procrastinator I know quite a few ways to make the god-sent that is coffee.  That above video was one of fifteen takes and 20ml of 500ml of cold brew coffee.

Cold brew coffee is usually mistaken as just iced coffee but it really isn't. Cold brew coffee is concentrated coffee, like a shot of espresso, and brewed to form a thick-ish syrup-like liquid. I find cold brew coffee a little harder to drink raw than espresso, so I usually add milk and ice cubes or dilute it with water and ice cubes; but that will come up later.

There are times when I come home from school (or a long day) and I'm just exhaaauuusted and not in the mood for making hot coffee, I just want to sit back and chill. (sorry Tanya)

Now I should mention that it takes about 12 hours to 5 days for this coffee to brew (according to my recipe).

All you need for this is 300 grams coarsely ground coffee (I highly recommend something from the Central African regions to have that deeper flavor) and 500 grams of water.

  • Add the coffee grinds to an empty pitcher or a Chemex (better yet a large french press if you have one)
  • Slowly pour lukewarm to hot water to the coffee, making sure that they are all rising steadily
  • After all the water's been poured, stir the mixture steadily to submerge all the grinds
  • Store it in the fridge, stirring it every two hours
  • Let is brew for 12 hours to 5 days, stirring regularly
  • Once the brew is ready, filter it out either with coffee filters or using a french press (I personally recommend the french press if you have one big enough)
My serving recommendations is to fill a small glass with ice and pour the cold brew halfway then pour cold milk over it and sit back, play some bossa nova and relax.

What's your favorite way to drink coffee? Let us know by commenting!




You Might Also Like

1 comments

Let us know your thoughts!

Instagram

Powered by Blogger.
Follow