Marrakech

After a whirlwind of Summer travel, I thought it would be nice to reflect upon one of my less recent trips, to Marrakech. Over the winte...


After a whirlwind of Summer travel, I thought it would be nice to reflect upon one of my less recent trips, to Marrakech. Over the winter break, my family and I jumped on the chance to travel to Morocco for a few days. Morocco is one of those places that people in Europe love to travel to, because you experience the Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cultures just a few hours away from home. So, here is my experience in Marrakech. 

Travel
When we first booked our flights from Dubai, we conveniently ignored the fact that there was no direct flight to Marrakech. So, we took an 8 hour flight to Casablanca, and an hour(ish) flight to Marrakech. Now, if I were you, and were traveling to Europe, I would just throw in a trip to Morocco in as well. A direct flights would have been such a savior, especially as there were no members of staff in our connections area when we were getting our internal flight. I'd definitely recommend trying to get a direct flight if possible, just to avoid the hassle. Once we arrived in Marrakech, we completely forgot about our travel woes, and enjoyed the Moroccan experience!
The main, internal area of the Souk


Shopping
Now, the main thing we do when in in a new country, besides looking at the sights, is explore the local shopping areas. The main souk in Marrakech is enormous, spanning over dozens of little streets. It's very easy to get lost in the area, and spend hours shopping, but I recommend haggling a little bit with your purchases. Most stores sell extremely similar items, so unless you're looking for a very rare find (like some rare plates that my mom wanted), don't be too fussed if something is over your spending budget. You're bound to find something similar at a much lower cost further into the souk. There are some lovely cafes that look over the entire souk, and I strongly recommend going to one for an overall view. 
Soaking up some Winter sun!
Food
Okay, so, over the whole journey, I will admit that the food was a pitfall of the trip. Usually, we are used to flavorful food, filled with spices, but here, it's much blander than what I'm used to. Tangine is a traditional dish from the Moroccan culture, which is meat in a decorative pot. The food is a must try, but definitely not my favorite. However, drinks and breakfast were delicious! I recommend spending some time outdoors at La Mamounia, a gorgeous hotel in the city. You can grab a coffee (or hot chocolate in my case, sorry Sarah), and spend some time by the palm trees. 

Mmmmm... Breakfast


Chocolat chaud à la Mamounia

The poolside was so serene!



Sightseeing
I don't think I will be the first to admit that the sights of Marrakech are something spectacular. Between the rich history, stunning designs and gorgeous gardens, the city is full of Instagram worthy photo opportunities. Here are some of my favorite places from my trip! Jardin Majorelle and the Ben Youssef Madrassa are a must!

The Koutoubia Mosque and Minaret can be seen from all over the city, and are the perfect representation of Marrakech - the colors, the culture and the people!
Tickets into the tourist spots are definitely worth the price!

The window patterns in Jardin Majorelle (and the rest of the city) were so intricate that I had to snap a few...


Jardin Majorelle was owned by Yves Saint Laurent, and his ashes were scattered there. There is a permanent exhibit displaying his "Love" collection 

Just some of the hundreds of plants in le Jardin



The detailing in the design across the city is so intricate!  


The roof of the Ben Youssef Madrasa
Another window... but you have to admit, they're stunning!
Have you been to Marrakech before? What were your favorite things to do? Let us know in the comments! 

Also, we've just launched our RSS email feed in the sidebar of the blog, so follow us there! Or, if you'd like, follow us on Bloglovin'!



You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. These photos look stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHHHH TROPICALLL!!1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! It's really a lovely place to visit. Tanya x

    ReplyDelete

Let us know your thoughts!

Instagram

Powered by Blogger.
Follow