Writers Block: What Not To Do

Pretty much Tanya and I are doing a "Back to School Special", and I'm in charge of the what not to do...have faith in T...

Pretty much


Tanya and I are doing a "Back to School Special", and I'm in charge of the what not to do...have faith in Tanya on what to do, not me. Anyways, I decided that I could use that to my advantage in an area I (arguably) know a good deal about: Writing.

I'm not a "professional" writer, but I have written something over 30 screenplays (10 of which are feature length), I've written two (unfinished) novels and a few one page screenplays/short stories here and there. So I've managed to pick up a thing or two when it comes to writing; and the most important one's are what not to do.

So I wanted to be uber neat (competing with Tanya, but we all know she'll win at the end) by making a list followed by explanations (featuring some titles I'm proud of).

Whether it's an essay, short story....anything that involves writing for more than a paragraph...here's five steps to avoid doing when that cursed writers block hits:

1. Think about the title before writingNEVER do this first. EVER. I can't stress this enough because I'm always thinking "Yes! The title! It'll help me develop a voice for this project!" It never does that. When you don't have a well developed body summary how can you pre-define the project? 

2. Spend hours and days and weeks and etc... on finding the perfect title - Again follows the same theme as the first point: if you can't find one yet don't bother. Now, if this is for an essay or something under a tight deadline which needs a title to be submitted just short-phrase (poetic license Tanya) the subject of the project. 

3. Following all the "Cure Writers Block" steps - I get writers block a lot. Too much even. I've spent a fair share of my time on all these different links and tutorials and self-help columns and writers advice on writing. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. The most important thing I learnt from all those links is that it is totally subjective. These are techniques that worked best for A people and those are ones for B people. Even what the writers say. In my opinion the best thing is to try and figure out when your brain would be working the most (or just enough to logically put one word after another and have a grammatically correct sentence), and go along with that. Now for the sake of argument I'll just say two methods that have worked best for me: Freewriting and writing everyday (even if it is nonsense)

4. Sleep deprivation - Don't do it. It won't help. You'll just end up getting really tired, won't be able to think clearly and that paper you had to give in on Sediment Flow Rates the next morning will get an F. Honestly, the best thing you can do is get a good nights sleep. It'll make you fresh and upbeat in the morning (the irony of a non-morning-person saying this) and you can think more clearly.

5. Forget about it for a good period of time - Yes. Forgetting your problems always helps in solving them. (I'm getting noticeably more sarcastic as this post goes on) When you can't write, the best thing to do (again, subjectivity) is to stop thinking about whatever isn't letting you think about the point of your project. Spend time thinking only about your writing. 

Good luck on your writing, try not to panic or leave anything to the last minute.







































You Might Also Like

0 comments

Let us know your thoughts!

Instagram

Powered by Blogger.
Follow