Brew It Yourself: The Aeropress

The aeropress is one of the best coffee makers (in my opinion) to have been invented. It’s…kind of… a pimped up version of the French...




The aeropress is one of the best coffee makers (in my opinion) to have been invented. It’s…kind of… a pimped up version of the French press...if explained poorly. Essentially, an aeropress is three parts (not including filters):
  • the main body
  • the filter cap
  • the plunger







What I love about the aeropress is that it is incredibly user friendly. Even if you’re completely new to coffee, it’s not too hard to work with the aeropress. The anatomy of this device is extremely forgiving, you can brew with a myriad of grind sizes – which brewers will appreciate since there is so much room for creativity in brew ratios and drink variety. You can create an espresso-like drink or something in the lines of brewed coffee (black coffee or American coffee).
After a lot of experimenting and a lot of caffeine sickness (yes, it happens), I found my preferred ratio to be 1:20. That means for every one gram of coffee I use 20 grams of water. Given I do most of my brewing in the mornings to take with me to my lectures, I adjust them to get 220g of coffee at the end to fit my KeepCup – however this ratio fits up to 250g of water.

Usually I like to use cold emersion (I’ll make a separate post about this) for the aeropress but when you’re half asleep in the morning it’s a bit hard to go big.

Things you’ll need:

  • Aeropress
  • 2x Aeropress filters
  • Scale (preferably one with a built in timer, if not use your phones or a timer)
  • Grinder (unless your coffee is already preground)
  • Coffee beans – My personal favorite is Guatemala; I’m using Guatemala Huehuetenango from Arabica Coffee


Gooseneck kettle (you can use any, but goosenecks help control your pour)
Your favorite mug or a range server





Aaaaaaand time to pour!

1. First step, measure out your coffee. I personally recommend using a finer grind, maybe coarser than espresso grinds however that will do alright too. You’ll be using 11 grams of coffee.

2. Now boil your water and leave it to sit for about 2 minutes; if you have a thermometer just heat your water to 90ºC (the older the coffee the hotter the water should be). Pour some water in the aeropress and your cup to heat them up, then saturate your two filters (I like using two).

3. Set up your aeropress (I use the inverted technique) like in the photo and pour the ground coffee in it and zero out the scale.
4. Pour 21g (bloom ratio 1:1.9) of water into the aeropress to submerge all the grinds and stir for 30 seconds.

5.Next pour slowly in a circular motion until you reach 220g.
6. Slowly stir the coffee for 10 seconds and leave it sit for 4 minutes.
7. Screw the filter cap on tightly and carefully (I can’t tell you how many times I’ve burnt myself with hot water leaking out or splashing onto my skin) turn the aeropress over your cup or server and steadily push down on the plunger.
And there you have it! My brew-it-yourself guide for my aeropress recipe. Let us know what you think of this recipe or your own recipes in the comments or tag us on Instagram!








You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I have been visiting your recipe blog regularly. The way of recipe tips looks to be easy for all readers. I would personally recommend our blog visitors to subscribe to obtain useful posts like this periodically. Particularly post on "Brew It Yourself: The Aeropress" is awesome. Get in touch with us via our websites vegetarian restaurants nellore | vegetarian restaurant at salem

    ReplyDelete

Let us know your thoughts!

Instagram

Powered by Blogger.
Follow